Date: July 14, 2011
Documented Evidence: 3 odd EVPs & A rock being thrown
Equipment Utilized: Digital Recorder, iOvilus, P-SB7 (spirit box), Dowsing Rods
Location: Resurrection Cemetery: 7201 Archer Avenue, Justice, Illinois (southwest of Chicago)
Investigators: Lauren & Chris
I’m not sure if you’ve heard or read the legend of Resurrection Mary; if you haven’t I suggest getting acquainted with it sometime. A breakdown can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_Mary .
Although Resurrection Mary would have been a great find that night we investigated, our reasons for visiting the rather expansive cemetery go beyond that legend…
Archer Avenue is known to be an old Indian trail, and ley lines are said to run underneath & possibly intersect along the avenue. It is these ley lines which drew us to investigate here. Ursula Bielski in her book Chicago Haunts gives a great discussion:
“The concept of ley lines originated in Britain, when Alfred Watkins, a retired brewer, noticed the English countryside was covered by long tracks, which he termed leys…which intersected at various points.
The points at which two or more ley lines meet were later termed nodal points. Observation of these nodal points led some researchers to believe that such crossroads were, in fact, ancient sacred sites. Many ley hunters came to assert that these nodal points/sacred sites often host extraordinary phenomena…
…Guy Underwood, a dowser, claimed to have discovered that these points contained underground springs, which seemed to create patterns of spiral lines of “force” around them. He also found straight lines of the same force, which he termed holy lines, passing through these sites. Occult investigator Stephen Jenkins speculated that poltergeist activity and other haunting phenomena may actually take its energy from nodal points. Like-minded observers have wondered if ancient cultures harbored an awareness of these energies and utilized them as sacred paths and sites for their ritual activity.
…the stretch of road mapped as Route 171 (Archer Avenue) has long been associated with many unseen forces- forces which create inexplicable lights, and eerily frequent car crashes, spectral chants, and full-fledged apparitions”(pp.80-82).
Personal experience:
I have been working with meditation and energy for a while, and I can pick up changes in energy in my environment. For example, subtle changes in an electromagnetic field and higher and lower vibrational energies foreign to my own, and I am quite sure when I say that Archer Avenue is quite energized. For me it was palpable; I was seeing light trails, I could feel a charge in the air- kind of like standing next to a fast moving well-oiled machine. Energy was just seeping up all around- it was pretty awesome!
To also measure the energy, we brought dowsing rods. I have used them before near running water and other energy resources, but I had never seen them as responsive and abrupt as I did just holding them out on the sidewalk next to Archer Avenue (people driving by were probably like- “what the hell is she doing?" Lol).
I would also like to mention- and we didn’t plan this, but the moon was either full or near full, so no flashlights were needed. We could see clearly and quite far.
I grounded myself & my energy before entering the cemetery to protect myself. We meandered our way to the plats, where we immediately got to work. We started with the dowsing rods, which were quite responsive. We asked a series of questions, and instructed that if the answer is yes to move the rods together, and if the answer is no- to move them apart. We were getting all “yes” answers, so I asked whatever I was communicating with if it could move the rods apart. Low and behold, the rods separated. I did this on several occasions, and about 85-90 percent of the time the rods moved apart.
Series of Strange EVPs:
Within the first 10 minutes we got our first EVP, and the rest within the 3 minutes after the first EVP. These EVPs are not of voices, per se, but are rather creepy- they are a snarling/snoring/snorting sound. The sounds are NOT either of us, as the recorder was placed on the ground during this timeframe– you can hear my voice faintly in the background & Chris was standing right next to me. These sounds were recorded right at the microphone on the actual device (not attached via a cord). The various people I have played them for have all said the same thing- that they sound demonic/evil. I will admit, the first time I heard them I had just gotten home from the cemetery and was listening to the recording on my earphones at full volume- and the unexpected distinctly audible creepy sounds caused me to reflexively rip the earphones out of my ears & stare at the device in disbelif- of course I collected myself and continued to review :). I cannot discern that the EVPs are in fact demonic/evil. I would appreciate any information/opinions you could provide in the comments, though!
Other Strange Events:
Around the first EVP, a big black fly or bug flew right into my face- gross. I mention something on the recording, which time stamps the event. About 10 minutes later we saw a bat flying above us- weird & also time stamped on the recording. I mention these things, as I am not sure if they would be associated with something evil/demonic in nature & I would appreciate any information and/or opinions you could provide via the comments.
Towards the end of the recording, a rock was thrown at us- not sure where it came from, but you can definitely hear it in the recording (and I also mark the event). We looked on the ground and found a tiny pebble- literally about the size of three-fourths of a raisin. The sound it makes upon impact causes me to think it was propelled with some force. I will attest that I did not kick or throw a pebble at that time, and I am confident that Chris didn't either. We were standing still right next to one another on a pavement walkway in the cemetery, and there were no trees overhead. When you review the sound clip, you will hear the impact and post impact bounce of the pebble; because the sound of the impact is rather audible, and because the rock hits hard enough to bounce, it is my belief that if Chris had thrown the pebble, I would have seen his arm moving to create the amount of momentum one would need to re-create those sounds. Niether of us could have kicked the rock, as again- the audible impact and bounce- one of us would have had to kick it with enough force to re-create those sounds, and by doing that the rock would have hit much farther away from us causing its impact and bounce to be most likely inaudible & there would most likely be a scraping sound from kicking it.
During that time we were using the iOvilus (Ovilus for the iPhone) with the iPhone set to airplane mode to stop cellular transmissions which could interfere with the energy the phone’s sensors pick up. A well-known ghost hunter informed me that the iPhone has the same sensors as the Ovilus, and that the iOvilus theoretically produces the same results as the Ovilus. The iOvilus presented some interesting words around the occurrence of the rock event, which you will hear, but I cannot confidently say that the words and the event are correlated.
During that time we were using the iOvilus (Ovilus for the iPhone) with the iPhone set to airplane mode to stop cellular transmissions which could interfere with the energy the phone’s sensors pick up. A well-known ghost hunter informed me that the iPhone has the same sensors as the Ovilus, and that the iOvilus theoretically produces the same results as the Ovilus. The iOvilus presented some interesting words around the occurrence of the rock event, which you will hear, but I cannot confidently say that the words and the event are correlated.
We also got some interesting phrases/words that came through the P-SB7, but nothing I feel confident in presenting as paranormal. That same well-known ghost hunter also told me that its best to use that device in an area with little or no radio signals available, and I agree.
Overall, I recommend investigating this area to everyone- even if it’s just to test out the palpable energy of Archer Avenue. We will be going back soon…
Enjoy the EVPs and sound byte & feel free to comment!
Reference:
Bielski, Ursula, Chicago Haunts: Ghostlore of the Windy City- Rev. Ed., pp.80-82, 1998, Lake Claremont Press, Chicago.
Hello and good afternoon to you!! We were reading your post and found it to be interesting. However, we do have a couple of questions for you. You mention the use of the ovilus on the Iphone. Now, the ovilus is an electronic speech-synthesis device which utters words depending on environmental readings, including electromagnetic waves. What sensors on the Iphone are qualified to give electromagnetic readings? Maybe we have different Iphones, but On ours we could not find any sensors. (we do have the 3G one though...maybe the 4G is better equipped?)
ReplyDeleteHi, thanks for cheking out my blog. I apologize for how long it has taken me to reply. To answer your questions:
DeleteYes, you and I are in agreement on the function of the Ovilus. I unfortunately cannot tell you what sensors are in the iPhone that allow for the ovilus to read the electromagnetic activity in the environment. I can tell you that I have sat down with a well-known and well-respected ghost hunter who uses the Ovilus and the iOvilus, and who was told by the creator that iOvilus functions the same as the Ovilus. I was using the iPhone 4, and I know that the 4 is equipped with many more sensors and technology that enable it to function on a more advanced tier than the 3G. I would suggest asking someone on a tech forum...perhaps they can better answer your inquiry. And if you do find out, please let me know! I am interested!
Thanks, again. Be well.
-Lauren, 2nd City Paranormal Research